Stewart Island Capture to Print Photography Retreat
Are you a beginner, intermediate level photographer or maybe just a hobbyist and are you looking to combine your photography passion with an awesome long weekend, then come join our small group Capture to Print Retreat on Stewart Island. As with all our Capture to Print Retreats, his weekend has Lightroom and Photoshop tuition sessions throughout – if you don’t have these loaded on your laptop, we can work to prepare your images for you. You will also receive one of your images printed and well packed to take home ready for framing.
This will be an awesome adventure for everyone who joins us, especially if Stewart Island has been on your bucket list; we are staying in two houses which are side by side, accommodation is in both bunk rooms and a limited number of queen bed rooms. For this retreat, while on Stewart Island, will be making our own breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings and Monday we will finish the amazing long weekend with breakfast of your choice at South Seas Hotel. While we will be making our own lunches, we head out to the South Seas Hotel for dinner each night and enjoy nibbles and a glass of wine or two back at the houses afterwards.
We’ll teach you how to use simple composition techniques and help you master your camera’s settings. With a selection of neutral density and circular polarising filters available for use we’ll work with you to enhance your images. We will help you to take your RAW images and create an awesome images using both Lightroom and Photoshop. Not only will you have an amazing time, but you will also come away with having met some amazing #photographybuddies and be more confident with your photographic skills.
Thursday: Meet Lesley & Leanne at Invercargill’s Ascot Hotel and enjoy a get to know each other over dinner.
Friday: Up early this morning as we’ve got an 8.00am flight to Stewart Island.
Friday, Saturday & Sunday:
Over these three days there is such a variety awesomely mindblowing landscapes, seascapes images to capture; sun rising, sun setting,
- We head to Ulva Island for four hour trip where over the 5km walk, there is the opportunity to capture beautiful imagery of the islands bird life
- Three hour night Kiwi spotting experience – not suitable for cameras, but make sure to bring your smart phone
- Capture images of two of the island’s beached and abandoned ships
- Capture amazing sunrise and sun setting seascapes
- Using a reflector and torches, spend time capturing beautiful dappled light dense bush images
- We will be up really early and out late so pack some good walking shoes
- We will also have lots of time for Lightroom & Photoshop workshops which includes understanding how to prepare your images for printing
- Printing one A3 image of your choice, packaged to take home ready for framing.
Monday: Before our 1.30pm fight back to Invercargill, why not walk down to Lonnekers Bay for our last sunrise before we head to South Seas Hotel for a late breakfast.
- All accommodation is shared across two large bunk rooms on Stewart Islands, plus a limited amount of queen bedded rooms are available at an additional cost
- Accommodation at Invercargill is share twin, own room available at an additional cost
- Mentoring from two awesome Women in Photography mentors – Lesley & Leanne
- Women in Photography A5 photo diary with quick reference cards for all the photography genres covered plus a Women in Photography pen – a $40 value
- Invitation to join the Women in Photography FaceBook Alumni group
- Take home one of your images printed in A3 – value $100
- Learning how to create high resolution multi-image panoramas using Lightroom for processing
- How to capture and process awesome photos
- Hands on coaching on composition to enable you to create inspiring images
- Mentoring to enable you to become comfortable at working in manual; mastering the exposure triangle
- Expert advice on how to create stunning images in Lightroom and Photoshop and prepare for printing
- Four nights accommodation; one night at Invercargill and three nights on Stewart Island
- Transfer from Invercargill hotel to airport
- Return flights Invercargill / Stewart Island
- Photography and processing review sessions
- Breakfast, lunch and two course dinner with wines
- Tea, coffee, and milo – please bring your own water bottle
EQUIPMENT & CLOTHING:
- Camera and both wide angle and zoom lens plus charger & spare camera batteries
- Camera backpack
- Laptop & charger – make sure your Lightroom & Photoshop. Adobe make a free version of Lightroom available only for desktop/laptop. Please contact Lesley if you need the link to pre-download
- Headlamp or small torch with batteries
- Memory cards and memory card reader
- Neutral density (ND) or ND2-400 circular polarising (CPL) filters
- Warm clothing, including termal top & bottom, sturdy walking shoes, beanie, fingerless gloves plus pack a waterproof and windproof jacket
- Tarpaulin for laying camera gear on – you’ll not want to lay your camera gear down on damp or wet ground.
LEVEL OF FITNESS:
A general level of fitness is required to carry your camera backpack up small, steep and narrow paths and walking on unstable land
Walking on slipery wet rocks is also likely plus walking at night in unlight areas.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Flights to Invercargill
- Transfers to Invercargill Accommodation
- Maximum number of attendees is 10
- Activity is weather dependant and sequence of photographic opportunity may vary
HOW TO BOOK:
You can secure your place with a $500 deposit by clicking “REGISTER”, the balance payable two weeks prior to travel.
Want to know more about this retreat – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Booking terms & conditions plus equipment list – click here