Rugged Landscape & Moonlit Photography Retreat Capture to Print
If you are looking to combine your photography passion with an awesome long weekend, then come join our small group McKenzie and Photography Retreat.
What you’ll learn:
- How to capture awesome moon-lit night photos
- How to create high resolution multi-image panoramas (using Lightroom for processing)
- Using an intervalometer, take multiple images and learn how to create a single long exposure image (using Photoshop for processing). Intervalometers are provided for use and available for purchase if you wish to keep it
- How to capture and process awesome photos
- Using Lightroom, understand how to prepare your photos for printing using print preparation.
Check out what is included on this all-inclusive, four day weekend which departs from Christchurch:
- Quality, shared twin room accommodation staying at Lake Ohau Quarters (limited single rooms available at additional cost), includes WIFI and hot tub for nightly use
- Three breakfasts, four lunches and three two course dinners (alcohol own cost)
- Return coach transport from Christchurch to Lake Ohau and all photographic locations over the four days. Coach driven by Passenger Endorsement licensed professional coach driver
- Helicopter flight for awesome mountain landscape photography (flight path weather dependant)
- Night photography workshop; working late into the night with processing after breakfast. We will be looking to capture moonlit landscapes
- Post photography review and processing workshops each day
- Colour print of your two favourite images
- A5 photo diary with pen and cheat sheets for all photography genres covered
- Two photography mentors; multi-award winning photographer Lesley Whyte and New Zealand’s leading female astrophotography mentor Meghan Maloney
What is the itinerary?
Day 1: If you are flying into Christchurch, you’ll meet Lesley, Meghan and our coach driver at Christchurch Airport, otherwise we have a pickup at Christchurch’s George Hotel.
Drive south to our Lake Ohau Quarters for the next three nights with lunch en route. Stopping at Tekapo where, being prime Lupin flowering season, we have an opportunity to capture some amazing flower and landscape images.
Day 1 – 3: Over these two days, we will capture sun rises and evening sunsets, photograph some of New Zealand’s most inspirational and wild landscapes at Lake Ohau Station, including Temple Valley, Temple Bridge, and the beautiful Temple Stream. Weather dependant as to which day, we take a helicopter flight and land for awe inspiring mountain photography, along with driving to Mt Cook to capture some of those iconic postcard images.
Day 3: Sharing of favourite photos using high resolution data projector in the evening.
Day 4: After breakfast we work with you to prepare and print your two favourite images before we depart for Christchurch. Arrive in Christchurch late afternoon in time for flights home.
Tell Me More:
This weekend is suitable for all levels including beginners are warmly welcomed as long as you have a basic understanding of how to change your camera settings. With a small group of 10 you are assured 1:1 time with Lesley and Meghan.
A general level of fitness is required; note we will be walking on at times, some unstable terrain.
A full list of equipment will be provided, but of course you’ll need to bring your laptop (Photoshop & Lightroom Classic installed), camera, a selection of lenses including a wide angle plus a telephoto lens would be ideal. You will also need a tripod, CPL or ND filters and a headlamp or torch.
This weekend is designed to enrich your photographic experience and meet fellow, like-minded women who share your photographic passion. The retreat concludes with a processing and printing two of your favourite images (29.7cm x 41.9 cm) using imagePROGRAF PRO-300 professional printer.
We will also have a number of filters kits along with Canon 55-250mm and Tamron 160-600mm lenses available for shared use during the retreat to help you capture some stunning photographs.
With photography mentors Lesley and Meghan, this four-day retreat showcases the best of this South Island location’s scenery. For long exposure photography the use of Neutral Density (ND) filters will enable longer shutter speeds to enable you to capture the beautiful effects of movement in the water and clouds. When you join this retreat this you’ll be guided through use of in ND filters enabling you to capture compelling photographs.
What if I need to fly to Christchurch and what do I need to pack?
Pam Young from House of Travel will book your flights and you will receive an equipment and clothing list on booking and paying your $500 deposit.
How do I book?
You can secure your place with a $500 deposit by clicking “REGISTER”, the balance payable two weeks prior to travel.
Managed by Women in Photography, this weekend is organised by Pam Young from House of Travel, therefore you can be assured that you are booking through an IATA accredited travel agency with your deposit and final payment secured.