Oamaru Steampunk Photography Tour
If you want to combine your passion of street photography and Steampunk, then come join Lesley & Leanne as we are heading to Oamaru’s annual Steampunk Festival over Queen’s Birthday Weekend 2022. This is the ultimate street photography opportunity.
Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction, often incorporating an alternate, futuristic version of 19th century Victorian England. Steampunk also refers to many of the artistic forms including – clothing fashions, fiction writing, sculpture, graphic art and film. The versatility of the Steampunk genre attracts a wide range of people from different backgrounds. Whether it is the fashion, accessories, weapons or even means of transport seen sported by Kiwi Steampunkers, it is more than likely that the wearer has made it all themselves. This creativity is not just limited to wearable items; structural art from recycled materials is common amongst New Zealand Steampunk artists. In 2016 Oamaru was named the ‘Steampunk Capital of the World’
Not only will we spend two days immersed into photographing the visualness of Oamaru’s Steampunk Festival we will also be out late to be part of this annual event. We will be up early for sunrise photography, capturing images of shags nesting on the old wharf, waves rolling in and breaking on Oamaru’s beach.
Saturday and Sunday evenings we will have photo reviews and likely be exchanging composition ideas.
Photographers of all levels of experience are welcome to join us, from beginners to hobbyists to serious; all device types welcome smart phone users plus film and digital camera users. For camera users, Lesley and Leanne will teach you how to use simple composition techniques and help you master your camera’s settings; ISO, aperture and shutter speed. With a selection of neutral density and circular polarising filters available for use we’ll work with you to enhance your images.
Just book your return flight to Dunedin, pack your bag, bring your laptop and camera gear as everything else is included – from the time you land at Dunedin airport, we transfer you to connect with your homeward bound flight from Dunedin, there are no additional costs (read below to inclusions and exclusions).
ABOUT YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY MENTORS:
- Lesley is New Zealand’s only female Street Photography mentor, multi-award winning photographer and founder of Women in Photography. Lesley is in her element here guiding you to create some amazing and memorable images
- Leanne is an outstanding landscape photographer and is one of Women in Photography’s Senior Photography Mentors. Leanne is also a passionate street photographer.
LEVEL OF FITNESS:
- A general level of fitness is required to carry your camera backpack and at times in low light conditions
- Walking to and from our hotel is ~ 10 minutes.
ITINERARY 3 – 6 June
Friday – Plan to arrive in Dunedin before midday as we are heading off to Oamaru, departing Dunedin airport around 1.00pm, stopping for a few landscape photographic opportunities along the way.
- Early dinner with wines included – a great time to get to know each other a little more
- Head out to the evening Steampunk Festival activities
Saturday & Sunday – Up early for a sunrise photography of the shags sitting on the old wharf – stunning golden hour opportunity here with the sun glistening on their feathers.
- Fully cooked breakfast back at our hotel
- Head out to the Steampunk Festival activities
- Lunch included
- Two course dinner with wines included
- Photo review session
Monday – Free time this Morning.
- Fully cooked breakfast at our hotel
- Depart Oamaru for Dunedin mid morning, in time for you to catch your homeward bound flight anytime after 2.00pm.
- Lunch along the way
- Three nights twin-share accommodation at Brydone Hotel Oamaru, own room available at additional cost
- Return mini-coach transport from Dunedin to Oamaru
- All meals as outlined above with wines at dinner
- Entry fee to Oamaru’s Steampunk HQ
- Entry to Steampunk Festival activities from Friday evening to Sunday evening
- Photography review sessions
- Lots of photography mentoring
- Led by two awesomely fun photography mentors – Lesley & Leanne.
What’s Not Included:
- Return airfares to Dunedin
- Morning, afternoon teas
- Drinks or snacks not outlined above
- Entry to activities not outlined above
- Purchases or spending of a personal nature.
All prices quoted are NZD – T&C’s, camera gear & equipment list available here
In the event of a Level 3 or Level 4 situation before this tour starts, the amount you have paid is fully refundable if you don’t wish to transfer to another Women in Photography tour or retreat.
NOTE: Please refer to Women in Photography’s COVID-19 policy – available here. It is the bookers responsibility to ensure that they comply with New Zealand’s COVID-19 policies.
Limited to a maximum of 10 a $500 deposit secures your place. Limited numbers of own room available are available at additional cost of $300 for the three nights is payable upfront with deposit.
Book now by paying your deposit – balance payable by credit card on receipt of invoice 21 days prior to departure.