Oamaru Landscape, Seascape, Steampunk & More
If you want to combine your passion of street photography and Steampunk, then come join Lesley & Leanne as we are heading to Oamaru, the birthplace of New Zealand’s annual Steampunk Festival. In 2022 the festival has been cancelled, we although are still going to enjoy the Oamaru location with entry to the Steam Punk Museum – such an amazing place for photography.
We spend the days immersed into photographing the visualness of the Oamaru streets and seascapes. We will be up early for sunrise photography, capturing images of shags nesting on the old wharf, waves rolling in and breaking on Oamaru’s beach. The days will be filled with landscape photography adventures and we’ll finish the weekend with a guided tour of Orokonui Ecosanctuary where will be looking to photograph Kakaruwai/South Island robins, pipipi/brown creepers, tītipounamu/rifleman, piwakawaka/fantails, riroriro/grey warblers and miromiro/South Island tomtits.
Saturday and Sunday evenings we will have photo reviews and likely be exchanging composition ideas.
Photographers of all levels of experience are welcome to join us, from beginners to hobbyists to serious; all device types welcome smart phone users and digital camera users. For camera users, Lesley and Leanne will teach you how to use simple composition techniques and help you master your camera’s settings; ISO, aperture and shutter speed. With a selection of neutral density and circular polarising filters available for use we’ll work with you to enhance your images.
Just book your return flight to Dunedin, pack your bag, bring your laptop and camera gear as everything else is included – from the time you land at Dunedin airport, until we transfer you to connect with your homeward bound flight from Dunedin, there are no additional costs (read below to inclusions and exclusions).
ABOUT YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY MENTORS:
- Lesley is New Zealand’s only female Street Photography mentor, multi-award winning photographer and founder of Women in Photography. Lesley is in her element here guiding you to create some amazing and memorable images
- Leanne is an outstanding landscape photographer and is one of Women in Photography’s Senior Photography Mentors. Leanne is also a passionate street photographer.
LEVEL OF FITNESS:
- A general level of fitness is required to carry your camera backpack and at times in low light conditions
- Walking to and from our hotel is ~ 10 minutes.
ITINERARY 3 – 6 June
Friday – Plan to arrive in Dunedin before midday as we are heading off to Oamaru, departing Dunedin airport around 1.00pm, stopping for a few landscape photographic opportunities along the way.
- Dinner with wines included – a great time to get to know each other a little more
- A gorgeous sun setting photography workshop tonight – let’s practice some long exposure.
Saturday & Sunday – Up early for a sunrise photography of the shags sitting on the old wharf – stunning golden hour opportunity here with the sun glistening on their feathers.
- Fully cooked breakfast at our hotel
- Morakei visit – including wildlife and landscape
- Lunch included
- Two course dinner with wines included
- Photo review session.
Monday – An early start as we’re heading to Dunedin’s Orokonui Ecosanctuary.
- Early fully cooked breakfast at our hotel
- Enjoy a two hour Orokonui Ecosanctuary private guided tour.
- Lunch is included today.
- Three nights twin-share accommodation at Brydone Hotel Oamaru, own room available at additional cost
- Return mini-coach transport from Dunedin to Oamaru
- All meals as outlined above with wines at dinner
- Entry fee to Oamaru’s Steampunk HQ
- Visit to Morakei
- Entry to Orokonui Ecosanctuary
- Photography review sessions
- Lots of photography mentoring
- Led by two awesomely fun photography mentors – Lesley & Leanne.
What’s Not Included:
- Return airfares to Dunedin
- Morning, afternoon teas
- Drinks or snacks not outlined above
- Purchases or spending of a personal nature.
All prices quoted are NZD – T&C’s, camera gear & equipment list available here
In the event of a Level 3 or Level 4 situation before this tour starts, the amount you have paid is fully refundable if you don’t wish to transfer to another Women in Photography tour or retreat.
Women in Photography has the necessary protocols in place to operate under the the COVID-19 Protection Framework red, amber and green levels. For your safety, that of your fellow passengers and those leading leading Women in Photography’s events, we are have robust processes in place to ensure that we can operate safely at red, amber and green levels of the COVID-19 Protection Framework. Click here to know more about this policy and the requirements of you as an attendee.
Limited to a maximum of 10 a $500 deposit secures your place. Limited numbers of own room available are available at additional cost of $300 for the three nights is payable upfront with deposit.
Book now by paying your deposit – balance payable by credit card on receipt of invoice 21 days prior to departure.