Awesome Chatham Islands
*** SOLD OUT ***
If you only want to join one photography tour this year and haven’t been to the Chatham Island, then this is the one for you, best of all if you have a drone we have permission to use at most locations.
Come join Lesley as she leads a group of 10 women exploring the amazing windswept Chatham Island over three full days.
This tour is fully inclusive of return airfares to Chatham Islands (departing Wellington and returning to Christchurch), fully breakfast, lunch and dinner with wines, transport around the island and concession fees to all places we visit.
Staying at the Chatham Island Hotel’s motel we are share twin rooms, single rooms maybe available depending upon final numbers.
You will get to photograph some amazing scenery:
- Chatham Island sunrises – three different locations, beachside sand hills, inner harbour and oceanside wharf
- Trip to Kaingaroa wharf and beach – capturing images of the fishermen loading and unloading their catch or simply this expansive bay
- Two shipwrecks
- Chatham Island’s oldest house which is nestled below the highest bluff on Chatham Island. The historic stone cottage is a 10 minute, cross farm walk and here we get to meet Helen who was born in the house and be invited into her house which is untouched by time – the photography, inside and outside is unbelievable
- Visit Admiral Gardens for a guided tour of this amazing garden where we get to photograph the Chatham Island forget-me-nots and other beautiful flowers. We maybe fortunate enough to capture images of the Red Admiral Butterfly – a different species to mainland. While at Admiral Gardens we are also hosted by the Croon family for dinner
- Capture images of the dramatic windswept Chatham Island trees as well as photographing some of the oldest and farm shed and houses
- Capture images of seals swimming and basking on the rocks – maybe even spot the Weka as they forage along the shoreline
- Explore and photograph aircraft remains which are being used to restore the salvaged Sunderland which struck an uncharted rock in the Te Whanganui Lagoon and sunk in 1959.
There will be daily photography review with Lightroom and Photoshop and each evening after dinner on return to our accommodation enjoy a cheese platter and wine.
This tour is suitable for beginners as long as you know how to change your camera’s settings – Lesley will coach you on the settings to capture gorgeous photos.
You will need to bring:
- Of course all your camera gear with a variety of lenses, including telephoto if you have one
- Camera backpack
- ND Variable fader filters – for long exposure sunrises and seascape images. Lesley has a selection for use and can provide best to buy if you don’t have one
- Thermal clothing with various layers, beanie and fingerless gloves – Lesley recommends these gloves from Kathmandu.
- Waterproof walking shoes are recommended – Lesley recommends these shoes from Ecco.
A $1,000 deposit secures your place (to pay for your Chatham Air flights) with the balance payable 14 days prior
Flights to Wellington and home from Christchurch can be arranged at an additional cost.
There is much walking on this tour, you will need to be comfortable in walking up to 15 minutes to get to some locations over easy to rolling terrain.
Women in Photography has the necessary protocols in place to operate under the the COVID-19 Protection Framework red, amber and green levels. For your safety, that of your fellow passengers and those leading leading Women in Photography’s events, we are have robust processes in place to ensure that we can operate safely at red, amber and green levels of the COVID-19 Protection Framework. Click here to know more about this policy and the requirements of you as an attendee.