Awesome Chatham Islands
If you only want to join one photography tour in 2022 and haven’t been to the Chatham Island, then this is the one for you, best of all if you have a drone we have permission to use at most locations.
Come join Lesley as she leads a group of 10 women exploring the amazing windswept Chatham Island over three full days.
This tour is fully inclusive of return airfares to Chatham Islands (departing Auckland and returning to Christchurch), breakfast, lunch and dinner with wines, transport around the island and concession fees to all places we visit.
Staying at the Chatham Island Hotel’s Beach Houses we are sharing twin rooms, single rooms maybe available depending upon final numbers.
You will get to photograph some amazing scenery:
- Chatham Island sunrises – three different locations, beachside sand hills, inner harbour and oceanside wharf
- Trip to Kaingaroa wharf and beach – capturing images of the fishermen loading and unloading their catch or simply capture images of this expansive bay, walk on the rocks for rugged seascape images
- Two shipwrecks
- Chatham Island’s oldest house which is nestled below the highest bluff on Chatham Island. The historic stone cottage is a 10 minute, cross farm walk
- Visit Admiral Gardens for a guided tour of this amazing garden where we get to photograph the Chatham Island forget-me-nots and other beautiful flowers. We maybe fortunate enough to capture images of the Red Admiral Butterfly – a different species to mainland. While at Admiral Gardens we are also hosted by the Croon family for dinner
- Capture images of the dramatic windswept Chatham Island trees as well as photographing some of the oldest and farm shed and houses
- Capture images of seals swimming and basking on the rocks – maybe even spot the Weka as they forage along the shoreline
- Explore and photograph aircraft remains which are being used to restore the salvaged Sunderland which struck an uncharted rock in the Te Whanganui Lagoon and sunk in 1959.
There will be daily photography review with Lightroom and Photoshop and each evening after dinner on return to our accommodation enjoy a cheese platter and wine.
This tour is suitable for beginners as long as you know how to change your camera’s settings – Lesley will coach you on the settings to capture gorgeous photos.
You will need to bring:
- Of course all your camera gear with a variety of lenses, including telephoto if you have one
- Camera backpack
- ND Variable fader filters – for long exposure sunrises and seascape images. Lesley has a selection for use and can provide best to buy if you don’t have one
- Thermal clothing with various layers, beanie and fingerless gloves – Lesley recommends these gloves from Kathmandu. Average day temperature is ~14°
- Waterproof walking shoes are recommended – Lesley recommends these shoes from Ecco.
- Four nights twin-share accommodation
- Air Chatham return fully refundable and flexible from Auckland and returning to Christchurch ($1,156 value)
- Cooked buffet breakfast – Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday
- Two course dinner – Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday with wines
- Lunch – Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- Entry to Admiral Gardens, tour and bbq dinner
- Landowner and DoC concession fees
- Chatham Island visitor levy
- Photography review sessions
- Lots of photography mentoring
- Bubbles & cheese patters after dinner
What’s Not Included:
- Travel to departure point (Auckland) and home from Christchurch
- Purchases or spending of a personal nature.
All prices quoted are NZD – T&C’s, camera gear & equipment list available here
In the event of a Level 3 or Level 4 situation before this tour starts, the amount you have paid is fully refundable should the tour be cancelled if you don’t wish to transfer to another Women in Photography tour or retreat.
NOTE: Please refer to Women in Photography’s COVID-19 policy – available here. It is the bookers responsibility to ensure that they comply with New Zealand’s COVID-19 policies.
Limited to a maximum of 10 a $1,200 deposit to cover your Air Chatham flights secures your place.
Book now by paying your deposit – balance payable by credit card on receipt of invoice 21 days prior to departure.
There is much walking on this tour, you will need to be comfortable in walking up to 15 minutes to get to some locations over easy to rolling terrain.