Abandoned Buildings & Vehicles
*Women in Photography knows that photographers love to photograph abandoned buildings and vehicles – well, we have a treat for you as one of our awesome #photographybuddies has found an amazing, abandoned mill on 10 acres of private land and we are heading there!
Come join Lesley & Ruth as we explore Endean’s Mill in Waimiha, which is about an hour’s drive inland, south of Te Kuiti. These three days are suitable for beginners as Lesley will spend time working with you on your settings. These photos taken by Ruth show you how amazing this place is!
Departing Countdown Greenlane in Auckland at 8.00am we head to Hamilton to pick up more #photographybuddies. We stop for lunch in Te Kuiti then drop our bags off at Blackfern Lodge where we will be staying for two nights. Head off to Endean’s Mill where we are met by Nickie our host who will explain the health & safety of this site and will show us around. Not available to the public, Nickie has arranged for some of the old buildings to be opened for us to photograph inside – we will be staying here until golden hour to capture the sun setting across the property.
The following morning, we’re up early to walk to the waterfall at Blackfern Lodge looking to capture the sun rising across the waterfall plus a spot of long-exposure photography. Ultimately also looking to photograph New Zealand’s native blue duck (Whio). After breakfast, we spend the morning wandering around the grounds looking to capture images of native orchids, experiment with dappled light, plus head back to the waterfall to see native long fin eels and rainbow trout (we’ll take some food for them). If you are a GoPro user, you’ll love this part.
We head back to Endean’s Mill for more photography, capturing images that we didn’t have time for yesterday plus this evening we may have the opportunity to illuminate the abandoned houses and trucks for a bit of light painting photography.
There will be Lightroom, and Photoshop sessions throughout so bring your laptop or tablet. Not to worry if you don’t have Lightroom or Photoshop, we’re sure that you’ll enjoy the photo sharing sessions.
This three-day weekend is inclusive of:
- Mini-bus return transfer with pick-up in Hamilton
- Lunch & dinner day 1, breakfast lunch & dinner day 2, breakfast & lunch day 3
- Continental breakfast provided by Blackfern Lodge.Bacon, eggs and porridge available to cook your own
- Wholesome, two course dinners with wines and sparkling water
- Packed lunch on day 2
- Lunch enroute day 1 & 3
- Tea, coffee and milo
- Snacks during the day plus cheese board at night
- Donation to the restoration of Endean’s Mill
- Accommodation in rustic warm twin share room; rooms vary, some have private ensuite. Own room at additional $150 may be available depending upon final numbers
- Lightroom and Photoshop workshops.
Don’t forgot to pack:
- Warm clothes with layers and a raincoat
- Walking shoes
- Water bottle
- Camera backpack
- Of course your camera gear and multiple batteries
- Multi-purpose lens 17-85mm or something similar
- Small $4 tarpaulin available from bunnings to lay your camera gear on plus you may be laying on the ground to capture images through the long grass
- ND filters – Lesley uses a ND variable fader and has a selection available to use. Please check as to what sizes are available.
$500 deposit secures your place, balance payable 14 days prior.