2023 ICM Sydney Cityscapes, Seascapes & Lights of VIVID Photography Retreat
*** ONE PLACE LEFT *** Attending this event is open to all genders as we recognise the international presence and following of Stephanie’s work, so come join Stephanie and Lesley on our inaugural annual Australian ICM Photography Retreat which this year is based at Sydney and is timed to coincide with Sydney’s Vivid Festival of Lights. Three nights are dedicated to Vivid, one night enjoy a dinner cruise with the chance to capture amazing ICM images of the light displays at Darling Harbour and Sydney’s harbour.
Women in Photography is extremely fortunate to have collaborated with Stephanie Johnson – global photographer, intentional camera movement (ICM) mentor and also founder and creator of the global ICM Photography Magazine (ICMPhotoMag) to deliver our annual global ICM workshops. Stephanie is also recognised around the world as a leader in ICM photography. You can read more about Stephanie here
This four day, four night photography retreat focuses on cityscapes, seascapes and lights as mediums for you to learn how to create abstract expression ICM images.
What Stephanie says:
The beauty of life for me is that we can look out through the lens of our physical eyes and see a clear, focused vision of the world around us, but we can also look out through the lens of our inner eyes and see more abstract impressions and blurred lines that are unique to each of us in individual ways, in much the same way literature has the power to elicit these same kinds of individual responses. This altered vision of the world connects us more naturally to the environment and to each other as we begin to see how all life flows together into the same energetic stream. My desire is to create abstract expressions that speak to the fluid nature of this energetic stream and which compel viewers to make more meaningful connections in their lives.
- Morning workshop on ICM with Stephanie plus lots of 1:1
- Street Photography mentoring with Lesley – multi-award winning photographer and Australasia’s only female street photography mentor
- Two half day processing and print preparation workshops
- Printing two of your images in A3+ and packaged for you to take home
- Lots of on-location image reviews
- Two hour pre-tour zoom workshop to meet Stephanie & Lesley plus get to understand the basics of ICM
- Manly seascapes workshop – capturing images of surfers in action
- Sydney’s laneways and cityscapes workshop
- Two Vivid by night walks
- Vivid dinner cruise
- Sunset shoot photographic session
- Evening Sydney harbour bridge photographic session
- Sydney Harbour Bridge sunrise photographic session.
This will be a great learning environment with expert guidance, instruction and personal attention. The adventure caters to all levels, from beginners to advanced photographers, but you should have a basic understanding of your camera’s settings. You will leave this adventure with new skills, new friends, inspiration and some really, really, stunning photos to show off. Of course, we will have time for photo reviews and printing of two of your favourite images to take away, ready to frame.
Thursday 8 June
After checking into your hotel – meet in the foyer at 3pm. Time to get to know each other and go through camera settings, ISO, aperture and shutter speed, plus use of filters. You’ll also receive your Opal card with lanyard which is topped up with $50 for all your train & ferry trips this weekend, a beautiful A5 photo diary – be sure to take this with you for all our outings and jot down the settings you’ll need. Tonight we walk to dinner, continuing our chat over settings, itinerary and getting to know each other more. Dinner included
Friday 9 June
After breakfast we start with our workshop on ICM – when we are all comfortable with the process and settings, we’re off to Circular Quay and head to Manly on the ferry to capture ICM seascape images which include surfers in action, while maybe not good for the surfers, let’s hope for some really stormy weather. Fish & chips for lunch while we sit on the steps of Mandy’s beach. After lunch, we head back to Sydney where we walk the laneways for some amazing street photography opportunities. Tonight we walk to dinner and dine at one of Lesley’s favourite restaurants before continuing our walk to McMahons Point to capture ICM evening images of Sydney’s Harbour Bridge lighting spectacular as well as (if you’re keen some) long exposure images of the ferrys zipping across the harbour. Board our ferry and off we head to Darling Harbour for a magical night to capture the festival of lights. Breakfast, lunch & dinner included.
Saturday 10 June
No sleep in this morning as we’re being picked up early so we can capture images from our really special vantage point (Balls Head), here we are looking to capture ICM images of Sydney’s Harbour in blue hour and the sun rising over the Harbour Bridge. After such an early start, let’s enjoy our sumptuous cooked breakfast at Coal Loader Cafe. We head over to Redfern for lunch where Lesley will take you through the art of Street Photography plus if the fire engines are around, we will likely be able to capture images from within the Redfern Fire Station (this is always a treat)!
Before we head out for our dinner cruise, we have time to freshen up & quick battery recharge. Tonight you will have the most amazing vantage point to be able to capture ICM images of Sydney’s Festival of Lights from onboard our boat while we also enjoy a beautiful dinner harbour cruise. Breakfasts, lunch & dinner with wines included.
Sunday 11 June
A little (😂)sleep in this morning as we’ll have breakfast and lunch in Sydney’s central area – spend the morning walking exploring the Queen Victoria Building which has the most amazing architectural photographic opportunities. This is your time to get creative and if you enjoy long exposure you’ll have a ball with this location, plus also capture some absolutely awesome ICM images.
This afternoon we spend time processing our photos in preparation for printing plus, we’ll need charge our batteries as tonight we’re exploring more of the VIVID light festival’s light structures but before dinner we head to Bangaroo and setup for sunset over Sydney’s upper harbour. Breakfast, lunch & dinner included.
Monday 12 June
Let’s enjoy breakfast at our hotel this morning, then it’s printing of your photos, carefully wrapping them in acid free paper and storing in the cardboard tube. Ok, now the for our farewell lunch – let’s raise our glass of bubbles and toast our newfound photography. After lunch it’s time for those goodbye hugs! Breakfast & lunch included.
- Four nights twin-share accommodation at North Sydney View hotel which affords the most amazing harbour views
- 3 nights of VIVID photographic opportunities
- Transport to all activities outlined: train, ferry & mini-van
- Cooked breakfast, lunch & two course dinners as outlined above – alcohol is own cost
- Two photography review sessions
- Lots of photography mentoring by Stephanie & Lesley
- Printing of two of your favourite images on Epson P706 SureColour photo printer. Printed in A3+ on professional photographic paper, includes tube and acid free paper to transport your images home without being damaged
- Women in Photography Alumni $150 discount applies if you’re a member
- A5 photo diary which is invaluable for making notes on where you’ve visited plus also a quick reference camera setting guide on the front.
What’s Not Included:
- Return airfares to Sydney
- Transfers to/from View hotel in North Sydney – hotel is 150m walk from North Sydney train station making it easily assessable from Sydney’s airport
- Morning, afternoon teas
- Alcohol, drinks or snacks not outlined above
- Purchases or spending of a personal nature, including room laundry, room service and mini-bar items.
Cost & Other Stuff
NZ$4,300 – with accommodation
NZ$3,200 – if you would like to find your own accommodation but join us for all the other activities,
- All prices quoted are NZD
- Camera gear & equipment list available here
- Limited to a maximum of 15
- NZ$500 deposit secures your place. If you want your own room, just an additional cost of $400 for the four nights is payable with your final payment.
- Book now by paying your deposit – balance of payment is due 21 days prior to departure.
- We recommend you purchase Travel & Pandemic Travel Insurance to provide cover should you not be able to travel.
Women in Photography has the necessary protocols in place to operate under the the COVID-19 Protection Framework red, amber and green levels. For your safety, that of your fellow passengers and those leading leading Women in Photography’s events, we are have robust processes in place to ensure that we can operate safely at red, amber and green levels of the COVID-19 Protection Framework. Click here to know more about this policy and the requirements of you as an attendee.
CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS APPLICABLE FOR THIS PHOTOGRAPHY TOUR
- If you choose to cancel your booking, your deposit is non-refundable unless we fill your place
- If we have to cancel we will give you a full refund or you can have your deposit transferred to any of our other events
- Full payment is due 21 days before the commencement date and is thereafter non-refundable in the event of your choosing to cancel, unless we are able to re-fill your place.