2023 Awesome Chatham Islands Photography Retreat
*** SOLD OUT *** If you only want to join one photography tour in 2023, come join us as we’ve brand new ruggedly raw, windswept locations to visit. Even if you’ve joined one of our Chatham Island photography retreats previously come back and join us as these are new stunning photographic locations. We’ll be heading to Waitangi West where we capture white sandy beaches with surf crashing over the rocks, old rusty farm sheds, rugged Maunganui Bluff plus of course we’ll be keeping the sunrise under the bridge over the Nairn River at Waitangi.
Come join Lesley as she leads a group of no more than 6 women exploring the amazing windswept Chatham Island over three full days
This photography tour is fully inclusive of fully refundable return airfares (valued at $1,156) to Chatham Islands (departing Auckland and returning to Wellington), breakfast, lunch and dinner with wines, transport around the island and concession fees to all places we visit.
Staying at the Chatham Island Hotel’s Lookout Motel we are sharing twin rooms, single rooms are available at an additional cost.
You will get to photograph some amazing scenery:
- Chatham Island sunrise at Waitangi under the bridge over over the Nairn River
- Waitangi West for windswept white sand beaches with amazing rock formations, tussock grasses and views back to Maunganui Bluff
- Visit Admiral Gardens to capture images of the Chatham Island forget-me-nots and other beautiful flowers. We maybe fortunate enough to capture images of the Red Admiral Butterfly – a different species to mainland
- Capture images of the dramatic windswept Chatham Island trees
- Photographing some of the oldest and farm shed and houses.
There will be photography review with Lightroom and Photoshop after dinner on return to our accommodation enjoy a cheese platter and wine.
This tour is suitable for beginners as long as you know how to change your camera’s settings – Lesley will coach you on the settings to capture gorgeous photos with pre-set group sessions at each location.
You will need to bring:
- Of course all your camera gear with a variety of lenses, including telephoto if you have one
- Camera backpack
- ND Variable fader filters – for long exposure sunrises and seascape images. Lesley has a selection for use and can provide best to buy if you don’t have one
- Thermal clothing with various layers, beanie and fingerless gloves – Lesley recommends these gloves from Kathmandu. Average day temperature is ~14°
- Waterproof walking shoes are recommended – Lesley recommends these shoes from Ecco.
- Four nights twin-share accommodation with two shared bathrooms upstairs. Downstairs accommodation have ensuites.
- Air Chatham return fully refundable and flexible from Auckland and returning to Wellington ($1,156 value). Flight departs from Auckland is 1.30pm, meeting time is 10.00am for pre-tour photography workshop. Return flight lands in Wellington around midday
- Cooked buffet breakfast daily
- Two course dinner with wines – Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- Lunch – Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- Entry to Admiral Gardens
- Landowner and DoC concession fees valued at $300 per person
- Chatham Island visitor levy valued at $25 per person
- Photography review sessions
- Printing two of your images on A3+ professional photographic paper to take home plus with cardboard tube & acid free photo paper to protect your images)
- A5 Photo Diary to take with you each day
- Lots of photography mentoring
- An awesome amount of fun!
What’s Not Included:
- Travel to departure point Auckland and home from Wellington
- Purchases or spending of a personal nature.
All prices quoted are NZD – T&C’s, camera gear & equipment list available here
Limited to a maximum of 6 a $500 deposit secures your place.
Book now by paying your deposit – balance payable by credit card on receipt of invoice 6 weeks prior to departure.
On this photography retreat, the walking is easy with many locations only 20-50 paces away from the coach.
NOTE: Chatham Islands weather can occasionally cause flight delays, we recommend you take travel insurance and book fully flexible Air New Zealand airfares for your flights to Auckland and home from Wellington. Women in Photography will not be held responsible for additional costs relating to flight changes should your Air Chatham flights be changed.
CANCELLATION AND REFUNDS APPLICABLE
- If you choose to cancel your booking, your deposit is non-refundable unless we can fill your place – we strongly recommend you take out travel insurance should you need to cancel due to illness or accident
- If we have to cancel we will give you a full refund or you can have your deposit transferred to any of our other events
- Full payment is due 45 days before the commencement date and is thereafter non-refundable in the event of your choosing to cancel, unless we are able to re-fill your place.